Mar 18, 2020
Overview of Episode #67 ---
- What is intermittent fasting (IF)?
- How does intermittent fasting work?
- What are some of the unknown benefits?
- Why does it work?
- How Health Coach Amy Land, a former athlete and HR
leader gained back her health and mental clarity with
- Contact Priceless Professional Development: 770-578-6976,
firstname.lastname@example.org or www.pricelessprofessional.com
- To see the show notes and get the transcript for this episode,
go to: www.pricelessprofessional.com/fasting
Timing on Recording: @ 11:32 ---
Topic 1: Why Did You Considered Intermittent
Fasting (IF)? How Did You Get Started? Why Have you Stuck With
- “It was a last resort.”
- Tried everything to get the weight off but nothing worked.
- Did not feel comfortable in my own skin.
- Gin Stephens’ book call Delay, Don't Deny.
- I used to lose weight in certain parts of my body, but not
where the fat was.
- Your hormones are balanced with intermittent fasting, which is
really different than other forms of dieting.
- You have complete like hormonal regulation.
- My health issues that were preventing weight loss were
- Simplicity of IF, the flexibility of it.
- A lot of people get caught up in the nuances, “What time should
I start eating? What time should I stop? When should I do it? What
if I have a meeting? What if I have a dinner? What if I have to eat
with my children?” The beauty of IF is none of those things really
- Each day you can wake up and say, “What's my schedule? What do
I need to do today? What am I choosing to do?” And around that make
up your fasting schedule.
- Focus on getting a clean fast.
Timing on Recording: @ 19:11 ---
Topic 2: How To Do Intermittent Fasting. Is It
- Very different than any other diet.
- “Oh yeah, I'm going to eat that, it's just a bit later.”
- What is really important is that I eat when I'm really hungry
and I stop when I'm no longer hungry, which is a subtle difference
from stopping when you are full.
- Stick with an App.
- NSV – Non-scale victories – Mental clarity, calmness, when you
are not eating, you are focused on everything else that you are
- In order to do IF well, you really have to be
- It is a big mind switch.
- It is to not about hunger, once you get fat adapted, you are
just not hungry anymore.
- When your stomach is growling, it's actually eating the fat
- You can eat a lot more food, you are just eating it in a
- Reduces inflammation.
- Look younger, smoother skin and brighter eyes.
- Things that may have bothered you for years (weight) that just
kind of goes away and you don't exactly know why.
Timing on Recording: @ 29:38 ---
Topic 3: What is Fat Adapted?
- It's customizable and everybody's unique.
- If you have a lot of sugar in you, a lot of carbohydrates, you
have been eating a lot of small meals, starting IF is going to be a
- The more you eat, the more carbs you eat, the more you think
you need to eat and you body wants to eat. You have to turn that
off. It really takes a while for the body to deplete all of
- If you have been doing low carb, I think it is an easier
- 16/8, which means that you are fasting for 16 hours and you are
eating for 8 hours.
- It has to do with how much sugar is floating around, how much
insulin is in your body, and glycogen, you want to deplete all that
before you start to feel really great.
- The hunger was not relevant; it was not relevant to how often I
should be eating.
- Use an App: Zero and Window.
Timing on Recording: @ 37:52 ---
Topic 4: What is a Clean Fast?
- Only consume water, plain mineral water or plain sparkling
water, black coffee, black green tea or black tea, with nothing in
- Anything that has a flavor, you do not want to mess around
- There is healthy cell renewal every time you fast for any
length of time.
- It takes a lot for our bodies to digest food, it is really hard
work and when we do not give it that to do, the body can
concentrate on taking care of everything else, making it ready and
healthy, staying youthful and young and vital.
Timing on Recording: @ 41:28 ---
Topic 5: What is Your Eating Window? What Do You
- My eating window could be as small as 1 hour.
- During the week, I keep a short window because it works for me.
I eat late afternoon, I eat plenty, I close my window.
- Go to sleep with an empty belly.
- More flexible on the weekends.
- Learn what feels good to your specific body.
Timing on Recording: @ 1:00:29 ---
Topic 6: Getting to Know Amy Land.
- What advice would you give your 25 year-old self?: “The little
things that you do each day are much more important than the big
- Last bit of wisdom that you want to share around IF? “The
simplicity of it, like just don't overthink it. I mean you have in
you what it takes to do this.” “I’m going to make you so proud.”
“Pause, wait, listen and really just kind of tune in, just tune